Thursday, March 26, 2009

Learning to let go!

So you would think that I wouldn't be learning this lesson so soon. Learning to let go of one of your kids and letting them make their life choices. My lil sister has always been one of my own kids. I have taken care of her since she was a little baby. Growing up with a single mom, makes you grow up as well. Even Justin knew going into our marriage that I basically already had a kid. She is my baby, my best friend, and most importantly my lil sister! I love her so much, and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for her. I have seen her struggle with so much in her life, and most of it being at such a young age. She's driven, dedicated, and intelligent. I see so much happening in her future, and know she will go very far. So why am I having a problem with her choices...

Well for the past year she has been getting ready to graduate highschool and move on to college. Her goal is to get into the medical field, and push forward to being a Dr. She was accepted to the University of Utah, and was so happy. But as it gets closer, her fears are starting to set in. She procrastinated on getting the student aid apps turned in. So now its crunch time, and she thinks..well thiss is getting too hard so maybe I should just stick to what I know, and feel comfortable with and go to Snow! I have no problem with Snow. I think it is a great school. But do I think its the school for my sis...NO. I have alot of reasons for why I think this. I want to see her do her very best, and take the hard things in life and just run with them. She has always taken the harder course. She has never settled. So why now? Why when this will be one of your bigger decisions in life settle and take the easier course, because it would be the less scary choice. I just want what is best for her. I know she has to make her own choices, and learn from them. I know thats the only way to grow up. Thats where I just need to let go, and keep my mouth shut.

I've been so torn with this. Because I want her to know how I feel, but I also want her to know that I do support her in everything she decides to do. I probably haven't shown that with these college conversations. I hate fighting with her..it hurts! You never want to fight with your best friend! So now I just have to learn to let go.......

Sorry people just venting!

1 comment:

The georgia peach said...

Im sure she will get there and do what she plans at some point sometimes it just takes a while to get there. hope it all works out.